Calanus Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement was published February 28th, 2019.
In Calanus we are committed to protect and respect your privacy in compliance with EU- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2016/679, dated April 27th 2016. This privacy statement explains when and why we collect personal information, how we use it, the conditions under which we may disclose it to others and how we keep it secure. This Privacy Statement applies to the use of our products and to our sales, marketing and customer contract fulfilment activities. It also applies to individuals seeking a job in Calanus, employees, suppliers and other partners.
Who are we?
Calanus AS is a biomarine company pioneering the utilization of the crustacean Calanus finmarchicus. This small pelagic zooplankter, with a life span of one year, is the most numerous animal species on the planet and represents the largest harvestable biomass on the Northern hemisphere.
Using its proprietary technology, Calanus AS has developed gentle and environmentally friendly biorefinery processes to manufacture its novel products, which includes Calanus® Oil and the Calanus® Hydrolysate, providing functional properties and health benefits to humans, domestic aquatic animals and pets.
Our company headquarters’ office address is:
Kystens hus, 5. etg, Stortorget 1, 9008 Tromsø, Norway
P.O. box 808, NO-9258 Tromsø
Calanus AS is the data controller and our Data Protection Officer can be contacted by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
When do we collect and process personal data about you?
- When you are buying our products.
- When you interact with us in person, through correspondence, by phone, by social media, or through our websites. This also includes when you interact with us as a representative of a company, such as entering into a contract with us, through the sales process or other issues. Note that we do not transfer personal data from the social media and process the personal data on any other way outside the social media platform.
- When we collect personal information from other legitimate sources, such as third-party data aggregators, exhibitions, public sources or social networks, we only use this data if you have given your consent to them to share your personal data with others.
- We may collect personal data if it is considered to be of legitimate interest, and if this interest is not overridden by your privacy interests. Before data is collected we make sure an assessment is made, ensuring that there is an established mutual interest between you and Calanus.
Why do we collect and use personal data?
- We collect and use personal data mainly to perform sales, marketing and customer service. We also collect data about suppliers, partners, and persons seeking a job or working in our company.
- We may use your information for the following purposes:
- Send you marketing communications which you have requested. These may include information about our products and services, events, activities and company news. This communication is subscription based and requires your consent.
- Send you information about the products and services that you have purchased from us.
- Perform sales activities in cases where legitimate and mutual interest is established.
- Provide you content and venue details on a webinar or event you signed up for.
- Reply to a ‘Contact me’ or other web forms you have completed on one of our Calanus websites (e.g. to download a whitepaper).
- Follow up on incoming requests (customer support, emails, chats or phone calls).
- Perform contractual obligations such as order confirmation, license details, invoice, reminders, and similar. The contract may be with Calanus directly or with a Calanus partner. If the contract is entered into with Calanus, the contract may be entered into digitally for more efficient contract and customer handling, including to meet with legal requirements.
- Contact you to conduct surveys about your opinion on our cooperation or products.
- Recruitment and processing job applications.
OUR LEGAL BASIS FOR COLLECTING PERSONAL DATA
Collecting personal data based on consents
The collection of personal data based on consent from the data subject will be done by using “Consent Forms” that will store documentation related to the consent given by the individual. Individual consents will always be stored and documented in our systems. We may send digital marketing to persons which have consented, such as marketing per email.
Collecting personal data based on contracts
We use personal information for fulfilling our obligations related to contracts and agreements with customers, partners and suppliers.
Collecting personal data based on legitimate interest
We may use personal data if it is considered to be of legitimate interest, and if the privacy interests of the data subjects do not override this interest. Normally, to establish the legal basis for data collection, an assessment has been made during which a mutual interest between Calanus and the individual person has been identified. This legal basis is primarily related to our sales and marketing purposes, and we may send information on products and services to our customers based on legitimate interest. We will always inform individuals about their privacy rights and the purpose for collecting personal data.
What type of personal data is collected?
We collect name, phone number, title and email address, in addition to your company’s name and contact information. If you are a representative for your company, we process your personal contact information with regards to the company. When entering into a contract with us, the signature may be made electronically comprising the processing of your personal data. We may also collect feedback, comments and questions received from you related to communication and activities, such as meetings, phone calls, documents, and emails. From our websites we may collect IP-address and actions taken on the site.
If you upload photos or videos, add posts or comments, etc. on our Community website, the information can be read by anyone with access to the Community site and used for purposes over which Calanus or you have no control. Therefore, Calanus is not responsible for any information you submit to the Community website.
If you apply for a job at Calanus, we collect the data you provide during the application process.
Calanus does not collect or process any special categories of personal data, such as public unique identifiers or sensitive personal data.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We store personal data for as long as we find it necessary to fulfil the purpose for which the personal data was collected, while also considering our need to answer your queries or resolve possible problems, to comply with legal requirements under applicable laws, to attend to any legal claims/complaints, and for safeguarding purposes.
This means that we may retain your personal data for a reasonable period of time after your last interaction with us. When the personal data that we have collected is no longer required, we will delete it in a secure manner. We may process data for statistical purposes, but in such cases, data will be anonymized.
Your rights to your personal data
You have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
- The right to request a copy of your personal data that Calanus holds about you.
- The right to request that Calanus corrects your personal data if inaccurate or out of date.
- The right to request that your personal data is deleted when it is no longer necessary for Calanus to retain such data.
- The right to withdraw any consent to personal data processing at any time. For example, your consent to receive e-marketing communications:
- The right to request that Calanus provides you with your personal data and, if possible, to pass on this information directly (in a portable format) to another data controller when the processing is based on consent or contract.
- The right to request a restriction on further data processing, in case there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data.
- The right to object to the processing of personal data, in case data processing has been based on legitimate interest and/or direct marketing.
Any query about your Privacy Rights should be sent to email@example.com
This information is used to make websites work more efficiently, as well as to provide business and marketing information to the owners of the site, and to gather such personal data as browser type and operating system, referring page, path through site, domain of ISP, etc. for the purposes of understanding how visitors use a website. Cookies and similar technologies help us tailor our website to your personal needs, as well as to detect and prevent security threats and abuse. If used alone, cookies do not personally identify you.
Do we share your data with anyone?
We do not share, sell, rent, or trade your information with any third parties without your consent, except from what is described below:
Third-party Service Providers working on our behalf
We may pass your information on to our distributors, agents, sub-contractors and other associated organizations with the purpose of them providing services to you on our behalf.
Third-party Product Providers we work in association with
If required by law
We will disclose your personal information if required by law or if we, as a company, reasonably believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our company’s rights and/or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order or legal process. However, we will do what we can to ensure that your privacy rights continue to be protected.
Use of sub-contractors (processors and sub-processors)
If the sub-contractor processes Personal Data outside the EU/EEA area, such processing must be in accordance with the EU Privacy Shield Framework, EU Standard Contractual Clauses for transfer to third countries, or another specifically stated lawful basis for the transfer of personal data to a third country.
If a new sub-contractor is signed or a change of sub-contractor is performed related to Calanus products and services, the customers will be notified in line with our Terms of Service.
You can find more information on how to administer cookies in your browser here: http://www.aboutcookies.org.uk…
Changes to this Privacy Statement
Calanus reserves the right to amend this Privacy Statement at any time. The applicable version will always be found on our websites. We encourage you to check this Privacy Statement occasionally to ensure that you are happy with any changes.
If we make changes that significantly alter our privacy practices, we will notify you by email or post a notice on our websites prior to the change taking effect.
Your right to complain with a supervisory authority
If you are unhappy with the way in which your personal data has been processed, you may, in the first instance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you remain dissatisfied, then you have the right to apply directly to your national supervisory authority for a decision.